GRIND OUT HUNGER is a Santa Cruz based non-profit created through the vision of skateboarders helping kids overcome hunger and malnutrition. It has grown to harness the energy of the youth and their concern for helping their peers. Working directly with local food banks, Grind Out Hunger has helped provide over 2 million healthy meals.
GRIND OUT HUNGER focuses on 3 main foundations:
With our main target being the youth, we strive to Empower and Educate them to live a life of Happiness, Purpose and Passion. We tie the element of philanthropy into their day to day lives by giving them the opportunity to help their peers in need, all while keeping them engaged through their passions of action sports, arts, music and more.
Our main focus is to fight childhood hunger, but kids have used our encouragement and empowerment to take action against many issues that are important to them including: cancer research, clean beaches, anti-bullying, mental illness and more.
• According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), 16.7 million children under 18 in the United States live in households where they are unable to consistently access enough nutritious food necessary for a healthy life.
• In the United States, more than one out of five children lives in a household with food insecurity, which means they do not always know where they will find their next meal.Insufficient nutrition puts children at risk for illness and weakens their immune system.
• The immature immune systems of young children, ages 0 – 5, make them especially vulnerable to nutritional deprivation and as a result, the ability to learn, grow, and fight infections is adversely affected.
• Good nutrition, particularly in the first three years of life, is important in establishing a good foundation that has implications for a child’s future physical and mental health, academic achievement, and economic productivity.
• Children from food insecure households are likely to be behind in their academic development compared to other children which ultimately makes it difficult for them to reach the same level of development as their fellow food secure peers.
All facts pulled from Feeding America website.
• Grind Out Hunger, partnered with other local non-profits, has collectively raised food and funds totaling over 2 million meals during school annual Holiday Food Drives.
• Currently Grind Out Hunger has 30+ hunger fighters and 500+ active youth supporters. Kids are learning that each time they support Grind Out Hunger or volunteer for the cause it goes towards providing families and children access to healthy nutritious meals.
• Over the 9 years we have been speaking to kids at schools, skate parks, surf spots, snow parks and concerts. Over 100,000 youth have been involved with Grind Out Hunger.
• Our first fundraising efforts were combined with raising food at Santa Cruz County schools. 9 years later thousands of events have taken place with most of those events being ran by middle and high school kids.
“Grind Out Hunger is doing something different and we want to be a part of it. Raising money in a way that is fun and brings the community together all to help feed kids. We are planning on working with these guys for a long time.”
~ Brian Dueck, Co-Owner, Yogurtland Capitola/Watsonville
“Grind Out Hunger is one of the most progressive, inventive, move-it & feed-it forward organizations to emerge out the nonprofit scene in decades. A passionate endeavor that not only shines the light on the important issue of hunger but boldly inspires and rallies members of a community, especially youth, to give a damn.”
~ Greg Archer, Former Editor, Good Times
“We support Grind Out Hunger because we firmly believe in the difference it makes in our community, right here in Santa Cruz. Pono literally means “to do good” and it is our pleasure to give to those in need in any way we can. Hunger Fighters For Life! Mahalo nui loa.”
~ Braddah Timmy Hunt, Owner, Pono Hawaiian Grill
“I was shocked to find out almost 20,000 kids in the Santa Cruz area are going hungry—whether that’s malnutrition or not getting three square meals a day…it’s important to integrate ourselves into the community and help in any way we can.”
~ Taylor Griffin, Power Forward, Santa Cruz Warriors From “Warriors an Instant Hit” in Santa Cruz on SantaCruz.com
High Resolution Grind Out Hunger Logo Packs:
(For graphic design, event flyer creation, or high resolution printing)
• 4 Logos .ai (vector) files
• 4 Logos .png files at 300dpi